Sent to set hearts on fire to live and love as Christ did. Since 1831.
Spanning generations, from many nations. Since 1831.
Loving our community. Since 1831.
The Ecclesiastical Parish of St James with St Barnabas, Enfield—as we are officially called—comprises the localities of Enfield Highway and Brimsdown, plus portions of Southbury and Ponders End to the south and west and Enfield Wash to the north, in EN3.
Brimsdown is the older of the two localities, recorded as early as 1420 (as Grymesdown, getting the present spelling—with a B—by the late eighteenth century).
To the west of Brimsdown is what is now called Enfield Highway, named in the eighteenth century for a settlement in Enfield from the ‘kings highe way leading to London’, i.e. what is now the Hertford Road (A1010). Earlier there had been a hamlet by the name of Cocksmiths End, recorded in 1572.
The population of the Parish of St James stands at 26,900, making it the most populous parish in Enfield, and one of the largest one-church parishes in the Church of England. The population of the parish continues to grow.
It was the first parish carved out of the ancient parish of Enfield due to the expansion of the population.
St James’s Church was built as a chapel of ease in 1831 to the designs of William Lochner on ground south of Green Street given by Woodham Connop (Lord of Durants and Suffolks Manors).
The church is a plain-aisled building of stock brick, in Commissioners’ Gothic, with a western tower and battlemented exterior. A chancel in the Early English style was added in 1864. There were galleries round three sides of the nave by the end of the century.
The north and south galleries had been removed by 1967, when a fire seriously damaged the east end of the church. It was restored in 1969 by J Barrington-Baker & Partners. At the rebuilding the chancel arch was removed and a new sanctuary was built in continuation of the nave. The inside of St James’s Church is light, open and modern.
St James’s has close links with St James’s Primary School on Frederick Crescent, about 100 metres from the church. Founded in 1834 as the National School, it is the oldest school within the parish, as well as in Eastern Enfield.
There are also growing links with Bishop Stopford’s School, a Church of England Secondary School, also within the parish. One of the best achieving schools in Enfield Borough, it’s also known for the exemplary behaviour of its students and the growing renown of its Gospel Choir!
At St James’s there is an active chapter of the Mothers’ Union, whose mission is Christian care for families. They are active in leading worship, in service and in support.
Several times a year the East Enfield Branch of the Royal British Legion are present at St James’s, their Parish Church, to commemorate Remembrance Day, Armed Forces Sunday, and in 2014, the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, and most recently the 70th anniversary of V–J Day and the end of the Second World War.
as well as
40 Northampton Road
LONDON EC1R 0HB
020 7332 3820