Sent to set hearts on fire to live and love as Christ did. Since 1831.
Spanning generations, from many nations. Since 1831.
Loving our community. Since 1831.
This page highlights the growing collaboration among three Church of England parishes in the Upper Lea Valley, in the north-east corner of Enfield—which happens to be also the north-east corner of Middlesex, Greater London and the Diocese of London. All three parishes have a similar demographic, both in socioeconomic profile and in ethnic diversity.
Our two neighbouring parishes, to the immediate north, lie just inside the M25.
The Parish of St George comprises the localities of Freezywater (named for an 18th-century farm, describing a dismal-looking pond on that site), Enfield Wash (first recorded in 1675, and denotes an area prone to flooding from Turkey Brook), and Bullsmoor. The parish has a population of 12,946, and was founded as a mission district; there was been a worshipping community there since 1896, meeting first in an ‘iron church’; the present church building was finished in 1906. There is a small church primary school to the rear of the church (Freezywater St George’s), and a very busy parish hall/community centre. The parish is served by two clergy: The Revd Taemin Oh has been priest-in-charge since 2014, and the Revd Vince Sheehan, assistant curate at St George’s since his ordination in 2016.
The Parish of St Peter and St Paul comprises the localities of Enfield Lock (named for a lock on the Lee Navigation) and the Enfield Island Village (an island surrounded by the Lee Navigation, and the river Lea, historically the border between Middlesex and Essex), which was once the site of the Royal Small Arms Factory, and came to the parish in 1995 when the area was redeveloped into housing. Part of the Diocese of London, the Archdeaconry of Hampstead and the Deanery of Enfield, the parish is under the care of the suffragan Bishop of Fulham. The parish has a population of 11,179. The church building, built in 1969, is the third on that site, and has a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Walsingham (known as ‘England’s Jerusalem’, a shrine in rural Norfolk, and a place of pilgrimage since the 11th century. There is also a parish hall. The parish is served by the Revd Canon Stephen Gallagher, who was licensed as priest-in-charge in 2016.
We are blessed with lots of goodwill among the clergy and layfolk. And this has helped us collaborate on a number of joint endeavours:
Started in 2015, men from the three parishes meet several times a year on a Saturday morning for breakfast at a local restaurant. We’ve also had an outing to the historical Epping–Ongar Railway, and more events are in the planning, plus future service projects.
We’ve already had two highly entertaining quiz evenings with teams from the three parishes, with another planned in the coming months.
In March 2017, the three parishes had a joint group during the six weeks of Lent, team taught by the curate of St George’s and one of St James’s associate vicars, at St George’s Church, exploring the foundations of the Christian faith through the Pilgrim course.