Sent to set hearts on fire to live and love as Christ did. Since 1831.
Spanning generations, from many nations. Since 1831.
Loving our community. Since 1831.
—as we are officially called—comprises the localities of Enfield Highway and Brimsdown, in the north-east of the London Borough of Enfield, Middlesex, in EN3.
A chapel of ease was built in 1831, and elevated to a parish church a year later; the Parish of St James the first parish carved out of the ancient parish of Enfield due to the expansion of the population from what is now Enfield Town.
The population of the Parish of St James stands at 26,900 (and continues to grow) making it the most populous parish in Enfield, and one of the largest single-church parishes in the Church of England.
is the older of the two localities, recorded as early as 1420 (as Grymesdown, getting the present spelling—with a B—by the late eighteenth century). These days the western half of Brimsdown is residential, while the portion lying between the mainline railway and the right bank of the River Lee (which is the also eastern boundary of the parish) is part of the largest business corridor in London, with factories, warehouses, distribution centres and several retail outlets.
To the west of Brimsdown is what is now called Enfield Highway, named in the eighteenth century for a settlement in Enfield from the ‘kings highe way leading to London’, now main local artery and called the Hertford Road (A1010). Earlier there had been a hamlet by the name of Cocksmiths End, recorded in 1572. On the western edge of the parish, straddling the Great Cambridge Road (A10) is the Enfield Retail Park.
St James’s Church was built as a chapel of ease in 1831 to the designs of William Lochner on ground south of Green Street given by Woodham Connop (Lord of Durants and Suffolks Manors).
The parish church is a plain-aisled building of stock brick, in Commissioners’ Gothic, with a western tower and battlemented exterior. A chancel in the Early English style was added in 1864. There were galleries round three sides of the nave by the end of the century.
The north and south galleries had been removed by 1967, when a fire seriously damaged the east end of the church. It was restored in 1969 by J Barrington-Baker & Partners. At the rebuilding the chancel arch was removed and a new sanctuary was built in continuation of the nave. The inside of St James’s Church is light, open and modern.